Thursday, August 14, 2014

An Owl And A Prayer

In local superstition, the hooting of an owl on a roof signals impending calamity.

Lord I pray 
That "the world is hurting my heart tonight."
Would become
"My heart is hurting for the world today."

They're immensely different,
Don't you see?
Switching to empathy for others
From pity for me.

An owl is hooting far away,
A plane was shot out of the sky they say,
Homes being swallowed in fiery rage,
Children being trafficked,
I could fill up this page!

You can't even take
A quick glance around
Without seeing that
Atrocities abound.

Harassment, violence,
Suffering in spades,
And for hundreds this moment
the light of life fades.

O Lord, may your kingdom come!
And end the evil being done.
So many who don't even know you...
O what can my feeble light do?
Lord, though mine is small,
Let it shine bright and true,
Reflecting your glory,
For to you it is due.
All who are hurting
-And that is no few-
All who need rest,
Lord guide them to you.

On a rooftop somewhere,
Far away,
An owl hoots,
Signaling end of day.
Night falls softly,
With no other sound.
We thank God that his mercy
And love abound.

1 comment:

Candace said...

Beautiful.